Inserting special characters and symbols in MS Word can be a bit tricky, especially when it comes to less commonly used characters like the upside down question mark (¿). However, there are several ways you can insert an upside down question mark in your Word documents.
Place your cursor where you want to insert this symbol and use any of the following methods.
- Insert symbol (Windows)
- Alt Code (Windows & Mac)
- Character Map (Windows)
- Keyboard shortcut (Windows & Mac)
- Custom keyboard shortcut (Windows)
- Word 365 search bar (Windows & Mac)
1. Using the Insert Symbol (Ms Word for Windows)
- Go to the ‘Insert’ Tab > ‘Symbol’ in the ‘Symbols’ group and select ‘More Symbols’.
- Select ‘Latin-1 Supplement’ from the ‘Subset’ drop-down list in ‘Symbol’ dialog box.
- Scroll down the list of symbols until you find the ¿, and then click on it.
- Click on the ‘Insert’ button to insert the ¿ into your document.
2. Using the Alt code
This method works in all versions of Ms Word but needs dedicated numpad keys on your keyboard.
- Press and hold the ‘Alt’ key on your keyboard.
- While holding the ‘Alt’ key, type 0191 (the Alt code for the inverted question mark) using the numeric keypad.
- Release the ‘Alt’ key, and the upside down question mark symbol will appear in your Ms Word document.
3. Using the Character Map (Windows):
- Open the ‘Character Map’ utility by searching for it in the Windows Start menu.
- In the ‘Character Map’ window, select the ‘Aerial’ Font (or any other font you may like).
- Search for inverted question mark (¿), and then click on it.
- Click on the ‘Copy’ button to copy the symbol.
- Switch back to your Word document and paste the inverted/upside down question mark.
4. Keyboard shortcut (Windows & Mac)
The keyboard shortcut for inverted question mark for Ms Word (Windows & Mac) is as follows.
Ms Word for Windows: “Ctrl+Alt+Shift+/”
Ms Word for Mac: “Shift+Option+/”
5. Custom keyboard shortcut (Windows)
For some reason if you don’t want to use above shortcut, then you can also set custom keyboard shortcut for inverted question mark (or any other symbol) in Ms Word (Windows). To create custom keyboard shortcut, follow this onetime process.
- Go to ‘Insert’ Tab > ‘Symbol’ and click ‘More Symbols’
- Select ‘Latin-1 Supplement’ from the ‘Subset’
- Select ¿ (inverted question mark symbol) and click Shortcut to open Custimize keyboard shortcut window.
- Place your cursor in “Press new shortcut key:” and hit the desired shortcut key combination that you want assign to get inverted question mark.
- Click “Assign”
6. Ms Word search bar (Word 365)
Office 365 has introduced new search bar where you can quickly find what you are looking for including symbols.
- To insert symbol, type “inverted question mark” in Word 365 search bar.
- Click or select the “Inverted Question Mark Symbol” from the suggestions.
These are six simple ways you can insert an inverted question mark in MS Word. Choose the method that works best for you.