Strikethrough or cross out text is used to indicate that the text has been deleted, changed, incorrect or irrelevant. Microsoft Word provides at least 5 different ways to do it. After researching Strikethrough shortcut from different websites and references, we found that the following to be easy and useful.
Select the text to strikethrough and use the following keyboard shortcut.
Keyboard Shortcut (Windows & Mac)
Ms Word for Windows: Press ‘Alt, H, 4’ in succession (not together)
Ms Word for Mac: “Command + Shift + X”
If you don’t like the above, you can also assign custom shortcut key or add strikethrough to quick access tool bar.
Custom keyboard shortcut for strikethrough
If you find above shortcut difficult to remember, you can personalize it. Use the following steps to custom create shortcut for strikethrough.
- Navigate to File > Options (Windows) or “Word” > “Preferences” (macOS)
- In tab “Customize Ribbon” click Customize beside Keyboard shortcuts.
- Select Home Tab and in Categories and select Strikethrough in Commands.
- In Press new shortcut key box, press the key combination you want to use for strikethrough. For example, you can press “Alt+Shift+S”
- Click Assign to assign the shortcut key to strikethrough.
- Click Close to close the dialog box.