Theta (Θ) is a Greek letter that is commonly used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. If you frequently work with documents in Microsoft Word and need to type the theta symbol, you may be wondering how to do it efficiently.
Fortunately, there are several methods you can use to insert the theta symbol into your Word documents. In this article, we will explore different ways to type the theta symbol in Word.
Method 1: Insert Symbol (commonly used)
It is the most commonly used method to insert symbols in Word including Greek letter. To type Theta (θ):
- Navigate to Insert Tab > Symbols and click on More Symbols. to open Symbol window.
- Select “normal text” or any other desired font in Font and “Greek and Coptic” in Subset.
- Search “θ” symbol and double click it to insert.
- Click Close to close the Symbol Window.
Method 2: Math Autocorrect Shortcut
To insert Theta, simply type “\theta” (for lower case Theta) or “\Theta” (for upper case Theta) and hit space. This is math autocorrect shortcut and works only inside equation editor by default. However, using the following onetime setting, you can make it work outside equation editor too.
- Click Files → Options to open Word Options
- Navigate to Proofing and click AutoCorrect Options button to open Auto Correct window
- Navigate to Math Autocorrect tab
- Check the box against “Use Math Autocorrect options outside Math region“
- Click Ok and close all the dialogue box
Method 3: Alt Code
This method is universal (i.e. works even outside of Ms Word) but needs a dedicated Number Pad keys in your keyboard.
Lowercase Theta (θ): Hold down Alt key and type 952 using special number pad keys.
Uppercase Theta (Θ): Hold down Alt key and type 233 using special number pad keys.
Method 4: Alt X Code
Lowercase Theta (θ): Type 03B8 and press Alt+X immediately after it.
Uppercase Theta (Θ): Type 0398 and press Alt+X immediately after it.